There are some hobbies and activities that just invoke nostalgia. Getting on a bike brings back memories of riding your bike to and from school or around the neighborhood with friends. Going to a skating rink brings you back to free skate with your friends while filling up on junk food at the snack bar.
For those of you who have never roller skated before, here is your chance to make new memories and learn a fun new hobby. It is never too late to learn how to roller skate.
Why should adults learn to roller skate if they have gone so long without it? First, it’s a ton of fun. Second, it has a ton of health benefits.
Health Benefits of Roller Skating
- Mood Booster
- Improves endurance
- Great cross training
- Improves coordination, balance and agility
- Calorie Burner
- Easy on joints
- Improves heart strength
Have we convinced you yet that roller skating is worth trying? Give it a go! The main thing to remember when learning how to skate is that balance is key.
Things to keep in mind when learning to skate at any age:
- Bend your knees. Place your feet shoulder width apart, bend your knees and slightly squat into it.
- Toes out. Just like skiing, you want to keep your toes facing outwards so that your feet don’t get tangled in each other.
- Keep your arms in front. By keeping your arms out front bent at the elbow, you will keep your gravity low while also maintaining balance.
- Breaking. You will want to get to know the basics like the plow stop and the T stop.
- For a more in-depth look at learning to skate, check out this website.
No matter your age, you can always learn to roller skate. Head down to Rainbow Rink and we would be happy to help in any way. With any questions before arriving, don’t hesitate to contact us. Happy skating!